Monday, July 28, 2008

Pioneer Day in Thatcher July 19th,08

*Warning, this is a long post with no pictures* Read if you have the time. After the reception we drove to Thatcher that night. It was nice and cool there and we dreaded the day when we had to leave and go back to the hot valley. The next day was Saturday and we planned on going to the annual Pioneer Day Celebration. It was great!!! IT started with a parade and that's when the fun came. It started raining.......nonstop. But that didn't stop anyone. The parade stil continued and people smiled through the pooring rain, waving at people watching the parade. There was several floats depicting the new temple that will be coming to the Gila Valley very soon. After the parade, we made our way to the EAC footbal field for BBQ beef dinner, games for the kids, a wonderful presentation, and awesome fireworks. Ofcourse, the rain did not stop, but that didn't stop us from camping out in the football field and eating a YUMMY BBQ beef meal complete with beans, coleslaw, homemade rolls and apple and ice cream. My Dad was Master planner of the BBQ meal and he said, regardless of the rain, they still served 1400 people! Great job Dad! Sister Jillian had been practicing with a group of youth for a wonderful pioneer show complete with costumes, singing and dancing. They did it all in the rain and it was very well done and very sweet. Jillian stoled the show when she and her dance partner where the only ones that did a crazy lift comple with her going through his legs and being thrown in the air! They also recognized two modern day pioneers with a slide show and music and live DJ. Yes, all in th rain. The DJ was prepared for rain and he had everything covered so the show could go on. Immediately following the show, we were READY to get out of the rain. BUT, off went the lights and up went the fireworks. Smart move to get people to stay for the fireworks...WE couldn't see anything even if we wanted to leave! I'm so glad we stayed...that was the best part. The DJ played very patriotical songs while the fireworks went off nonstop and I have to admit, I started singing along and even cried a little. Especially on the song, God Bless the USA. And the cutest part was Aubrey yelling through the rain, " Mom, I can feel it in my heart." Just think of these words " If tomorrow all the things were gone, I'd worked for all my life, and I had to start again, with just my children and my wife. I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today....cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away. " At that point, rain was the last thing on my mind and I thoroughly enjoyed being with my husband and kids watching fireworks in the POURING RAIN. All we could do was laugh and smile and kiss our kids. MEMORIES! I love my family. They are so good to me. They make me so happy. So, you can guess why we don't have any pictures?! WE attended church on Sunday and enjoyed leftover BBQ beef and homemade rolls for Dinner. Mom insisted we leave the girls to visit Grandma's house for the weekend. They were so excited!!! It was so funny as we were leaving. Savannah kept saying ," Mom, are you leaving yet? I need to go play!" Needless to say, they had a great time and G&G spoiled them! They went to the library, ate lunch with Grandpa Doctor at the hospital, went swimming at Konopnicki cousins house, played slip and slide, got their hair done beautifully every morning by Aunt Jillian and even got used cheerleading outfits from Aunt Leisel and Jillian. That's what happens when you're aunts are in spiritline:) They even taught them a Thatcher Eagle cheer. They also enjoyed Mcdonald's, playing the Wii, and Grandma gave them some chores too. Good! They're good little workers. Grandma said they fell into bed everynight. They played hard. Malin and I picked them up Thursday night the 24th, in Globe. We were so happy to be back together as a family. I got SO much done at home that week. WOW, it's amazing how much I can do with only one kid at my feet. I forgot! Baby Malin was my little side kick as I organized my whole filing cabinet, sanded and refinished an old console table that I have been wanting to do for a whole year(It's been sitting in our garage), deep cleaned the garage, organized my pantry complete with labels, cleaned and sanitized the whole house in 5 hours(that never happens with three kids), and ofcourse took lots of naps and watched movies. I missed my girls, but oh it was a good feeling to get caught up on some much needed projects. I even went on a date with my Husband.

3 comments:

Marisa and Rob said...

I love going home for the 24th and the 4th!!! Too bad I missed seeing you at chruch!!!

Jolene George said...

What a great time and I love how you all stayed possitive and enjoyed the celebration with all that rain.
During sacrament meeting on Sunday, Mark leaned over to me and said I think sister Lewis is pregnant! LOL! I had no idea he didn't know already.

Scott and Candice Moore said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Even in the rain! Aubrey's little comment made me tear up! How sweet she is!