Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ashlyn + Bronchiolitis= one sick baby

Ashlyn was in the hospital for 5 days with Bronchiolitis! She was a sick little baby. I took her to the doctor on Baby Malin's b0day, after his party, and her oxygen level was very low. So the doctor ordered an amulance and we were taken to the Banner Gateway Medical center. I'm grateful to say she is 100% better and doing so well. The hospital stay was hardest on our kids who didn't have a mommy for 5 days. Thank heavens for wonderful sister in laws and Grandmas and Grandpas, and ultimately a super awesome daddy. Ashlyn and I were buddy buddies in the hospital. We watched a lot of TV, awaited the next meal. Well, I did. She nursed whenever she wanted to. And we slept a lot. I also got alot of school work done. It was a break for Ashlyn and MOMMY. Ashlyn had an IV on both wrists, oxygen in her little nose and a pullsock on her toe to monitor her heart rate and oxygen levels. Every for hours she was given a breathing treatment and I was given the option of whether to deep suction her lungs or not. She did get her lungs deep suctioned a few times, which was not a pretty sight, but it HELPED tremendously. She left the hospital totally healed and I am so grateful that I have my baby back. For a whole week I sat up holding her all night, for fear that she would check on the mucus in her lungs if she was laid flat. I am so grateful for healthy babies. Thanks a MILLION to everyone that helped our family in a time of need. We want to return the favors in any way possible.

6 comments:

Deven and Britany Dicus said...

That sounds awful, glad to hear she's feeling better! Nothing sadder than a sick baby!

AZ SMITHS said...

I'm so glad that she's feeling better!!

Leah said...

Oh my! I'm glad you were able to take of her at the hospital and nurse nurse nurse! That is so awesome that you have had such great help too....love all your other posts...happy b-day to your man! I can't believe he is 2!!

Carol said...

RSV season is horrible!!!! It breaks my heart to see so many sick babies at this time of year. And even worse to hear your baby had it. RSV is a virus that does cause pneumonia and bronchitis in kids. It's also very contagious. Spread through droplets. I've seen a lot of very sick babies and flown off a few this month already. The problem with RSV is that the breathing treatments don't solve what's really going on. The problem is that the baby keeps having mucus/phelm build up in the airway/lungs. The poor baby is drowning in her own secretions. Deep tracheal suction is the only thing that solves the problem. And because it's a virus, antibiotics don't work. But the breathing treatments are a good thing, because the bronchials that go to the lungs are becoming so irritated by all the phelm, that they start to constrict, causing wheezes. I bet Ashlyn sounded really congested, huh? I'm so happy that you guys recognized that she was sick, before she became very sick. I love you guys and keep you and Ashlyn in my prayers.

Cory or Cari said...

I'm so sorry for your difficult experience. Good to know that all is now well. We love keeping up with the Lewis Family.

Wilkins Family said...

Jen Beckstead told me about Ashlyn after I blogged that our new baby Peter has bronichiolitis. It was good for me to read your post. Knowing that there are lots of things that can be done if his condition worsens helps me to be not quite so anxious for Peter. I'm glad all is going well for you guys now.